I was delighted to hear from T. that ur patient has made some very desirable new acquantances... I gather that the middle-aged married couple who called at his office are just the sort of people we want him to know-rich, smart, superfically intellectual, and brightly sceptical about everything in the world..
He will be silent when he ought to speak and laugh when he ought to be silent. He will assume, at first only by his manners, but presentlyby his words, alls orts of cynical and sceptical attitudes which are not really his. But if u play him well, they may become his..All mortals tend to turn into the thing they are prettending to be.'
-..if this succeeds, he can be induced to live, as I have known many humans live, for quite long periods, two parallel lives; he will not only appear to be, but actually be, a different man in each of the other circles he frequents.
Cs. Lewis. The Screwtape Letters
No comments:
Post a Comment